Frequently Asked Questions
What is HR Houston?
HR Houston is dedicated to connecting Human Resource Professionals to knowledge, relationships and solutions. The chapter is a local affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
I am already a SHRM member. Why should I also pay membership dues to HR Houston?
Membership in SHRM provides access to outstanding publications, conferences, legislative information and a multitude of other resources in the field. Membership in HR Houston connects you with your colleagues in the Houston business community for relationships and support. You also enjoy the convenience of local meetings, conferences and workshops which offer SHRM PDCs and recertification credit hours at discounted member rates.
How does membership work?
There are four categories of membership – Professional, General, Associate, or Student. Please CLICK HERE for a complete description of each category. All applications are reviewed and approved by HR Houston. Membership must be renewed annually prior to the expiration date to avoid the initial processing fee.
How can I update or renew my membership?
Changes – to include employment and contact information – can be made by Updating Your Profile online. Membership renewal can also be handled online.
What if my membership has expired?
If your membership has expired, please contact the HR Houston office at 713.426.2646. If you do not renew your membership prior to the expiration date, it may be necessary to complete the application process in full and pay the initial processing fee.
Does HR Houston provide resources to prepare for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams?
HR Houston's Exam Preparation for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP is offered each Fall and Spring and utilizes the SHRM Learning System and provides 24 hours of instruction over three Friday sessions. Visit the Calendar of Events for more information and registration.
What about preparation options for the HR Certification Institute's PHR and SPHR exams?
- PHR/SPHR Certification Study Workshop - 6-week instructor-led workshop provides a high-level review of the PHR/SPHR Body of Knowledge
- HR Review: Last Minute Course – Start with a comprehensive 225 question, four-hour practice exam, followed by two days with a facilitator to study the exam to understand the correct answers, related facts and the strategic positioning of the question.
- Visit the Calendar of Events for more information and registration.
Does HR Houston provide opportunities to earn continuing education credit?
HR Houston offers SHRM PCDs for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP and recertification credit for the PHR, GPHR and SPHR at its meetings, workshops, Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues and other educational events.
What resources are available for HR Houston members?
- Member pricing on HR Houston's educational offerings, to include the Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues, 1- and 2-day workshops through the Seminar Series, HR Basics workshop and monthly meetings
- Relationship-building through quarterly HRMixer happy hours and committee volunteer opportunities
- Member Directory in the Members Only section of the website
- The Career Center, through which HR Professionals can locate jobs or search for employees
- The HR Marketplace – a searchable directory of suppliers of HR services and products.
What is the Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues?
Held each May, the Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues is the largest HR conference on the Gulf Coast with 2.5 days of education and relationship-building. Learn new strategies and techniques during the Concurrent and General Sessions. Shop the Exhibit Hall for products and services to make your job easier and move your company forward.
How can I become more involved in HR Houston?
Participating on an HR Houston Committee is a great way to meet and build relationships with your HR peers, enhance your skills, and give back to both the association and the HR profession. CLICK HERE for more information on the volunteer committees and to complete the online volunteer form.
How can I promote my services/products to other HR Houston members?
Advertising with HR Houston is an affordable and effective way to reach 2,200+ HR Professionals. CLICK HERE to learn more.